Friday, February 22, 2008

BACK!!

So many things to write about, and such utter laziness!! Thank you dab for the much required shove.

I bid adieu to my blog sometime around my birthday with great gusto. Fortunately, the self imposed exile didn't last for very long. So, my blog lives, to die another day!
Forgive me if it's rather rusty, but there are certain things I just needed to pen down. Of course, the ongoing mid-semester exams leave me with plenty of time to while away, even as the hurriedly photocopied notes beg to be read.

While talking to a friend this afternoon, it struck me with amazing clarity how much life in college changes people in general and me in particular. More than anything else, the random opinions and actions of equally random people have stopped affecting me. From the teenager who wanted everyone to like her, I've slowly but surely evolved. I mean the opinions of people still dictate certain actions of mine, cos I've never been able to wear the devil may care attitude with aplomb. But for the most part, I have outgrown my tendency to over-analyze every opinion I've heard about myself.

The more people I've met, the more I've realized that not everybody can agree to my opinions on life, the universe and everything else. And that sometimes, the differences in opinion make for very interesting twists :D.
I've always held my biases rather irrationally. I've passed judgement without a fair trial, but conversely, I've also always made friends unconditionally and without an acid test. The latter is obviously my fault, and at times, I've been really hurt when people turn out differently from my expectations. Now, I know better. We all use the word friend with too much liberty. At least I used to.

Of course, all of us have had our share of hypocritical acquaintances. But, it's OK. They are not without their redeeming qualities. Whether it be getting me the notes for a test, at 12 in the night, or giving me company on train rides back home or on dinner when the food in the mess was terribly bad, or perhaps, giving me a lift after a particularly exhausting meeting. Thank you guys. The only reason I can't call you friends, inspite of your many generous acts is that I can't blindly trust you to stand up for me.

As my KGP life enters it's final scene, I know that I'd consider myself really lucky if I left this place with even a handful of people I'd be friends with 10 years down the line. My CG would be a mere number then, gymkhana & poltu will be looked back upon with amusement, some really frustrating SF meetings would be a distant hazy memory, but I'll always remember the good times I've shared with some wonderful people I've met here and had amazing fun with. Those memories will override the unpleasant ones and the disdain with which I treat all things Kgp at this particular moment.

I believe I have my handful of friends, I'd want to stay in touch with. Do you have yours?

7 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Anshuman said...

hope i am in that list :)

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Goddess Of Small Things. said...

Really coincides with my thoughts :). Very nicely put .

Glad you have your handful of friends, i'm not even sure whether i will have mine. Your blog got a smile on my face....i thought " I'm not the only one who feels this way".

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Johny-walker said...

Really really well put.
Thoughts which keep crossing you so often, but ones you cant really pen down that easily.

And, i can relate to it lots :P
Gud gud, that you know your friends :D
Now, I wonder do I..

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger bhaatloque said...

finally someone put in words the thoughts and sentiments that so many of us share...
can't stop smiling as reading it made me feel that i was going through an abridged version of the countless conversations that we have had...
felt nice...keep writing and also motivate me to do the same.. :D
p.s. I know who my friends are :)

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Realized it in the first year itself. That there are a lot of hypocrites out there in this world. One of your close friends is one of those hypocrite b**tards I have come across.

All said and done, people are different. Aren't they? Jerk in my view might be a great guy in your view. Views differ.

Anyways, all the best for post IIT life.

PS: I prefer to be anonymous to avoid the brickbats. I don't have patience to respond to those.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you think you have someone sorted out, and then they are not who they are, its a big lesson. take the pill and move on.
why do you have to rant all the time?
and why really do people have to run around with a stamp marked "FRIEND" and then you run crying with an eraser when you dont like them. ohh, then you were my friend, now you are not.
tell yourself whatever. the funniest thing is all the intellectuals who are posting here. i have known many people much less hypocritical than the ones present here.including the one above.
tell my how many people have really asked you to be their friend??
do they propose friendship anywhere in the world like they do when they are in love?
friendship is much less flexible. and much more brittle. out of your bunch of friends, i tell you, think again, how much would it take to take each one of them off the list?
and stop being a cry baby

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger felinedev said...

Jus happened on dis blog and i must defend e.n. for blogs can be ur own journal and does not ve to respond to others views, dey are words like in a journal, jus cse its public doesn mean we shud'n respect the blogger.
to each his own..
to de critics...yes u too..
but be a sport?... she writes so well! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home